Our brain is undoubtedly one of the most important organs in our bodies. It not only helps us think, remember, reason and learns new things but it also controls our speech and movement, too. Because your brain is vital for the proper functioning of your body all day long, it is critical to improve its health with a Mediterranean diet and regular exercise and avoid things that can damage it, like not getting enough sleep, chronic stress and smoking. While you are probably familiar with a few healthy tips for brain, there are some mind-blowing facts about the brain that you never knew. Grab a cup of coffee or some smoothie, and read this interesting post to discover the top eighteen amazing facts about the human brain.
18 Mind-Blowing Facts About Human Brain
How well do you know about your brain? Well, the short answer is not as well as you think you do. Outlined below are some of the interesting facts about your smart brain you never knew.
- One of the facts about the brain of an adult human is that it weighs about three pounds that is equal to 1,300 -1,400 g.
- You will be surprised to learn that your brain is the fattest organ in your body! Yes, the brain of the human body has approximately sixty percent of fat!
- Did you know that the most complex organ of the human body is about 75 percent water? Yes, the human brain requires proper hydration, just as the muscles and other organs in the human body. Additionally, researchers believe that ninety minutes of sweating without drinking water can cause shrinkage of the human brain which is as much as a year of ageing.
- Surprisingly reading out loud and communicating with young children can help improve their speech and brain development.
- Excessive stress has proven to alter brain structure, brain function and brain cells.
- Find it hard to believe but the human brain feels no pain. Even though the patient remains awake during brain surgery, he or she doesn’t feel any pain or discomfort. It’s because the organ does not have pain receptors.
- Hopefully we all know that the brain is one of the most complex organs in our bodies. But not many of us know that every time we learn something new, the physical structure of our brain changes, creating new connections.
- Did you know when you are awake, your brain keeps the light burning power? Yes, that’s right! A human brain is capable of producing about 24 watts of energy (enough electricity to light up a low-wattage light bulb).
- The human brain needs an uninterrupted and adequate supply of oxygen to function properly. When your brain is deprived of oxygen for as little as 5 minutes, your brain cells begin to die. The longer your brain goes without oxygen, the greater your chance for permanent brain damage.
- Did you know that the brain of a human body cannot complete more than one task at a time? Yes, you read that right. A human brain can’t learn more than one thing or concentrate on multiple things at once.
- While the exact count of brain cells is not clear, experts do believe that the human brain contains billions of cells. Interestingly, unlike other body organs in the human body where the cells are all the same, the human brain has a wide range of different cells.
- Believe it or not, the human brain can survive for about two days without water, twenty days without food and eleven days without getting sleep.
- The brain of the human body is faster than a computer system, which makes it capable of solving problems more efficiently.
- This is one of the most interesting facts about the human brain. The brain receives 20 per cent of the total oxygen and blood that is produced in the human body.
- With an interruption of blood flow for eight to ten seconds, the human brain may lose consciousness. Nearly after ten minutes without a blood supply, the chance of survival becomes difficult.
- You have probably heard the rumour that people are either left-brained or right-brained. As per researchers, the idea of being left or right-brained is a common myth. There’s no such thing as right-brain or left-brain skill/personality type! No one is not right-brained or left-brained- in reality, human beings are “whole-brained”.
- According to research, prolonged use of cell phones can increase the chance of developing a brain tumour.
- It has been discovered that alcohol does not make you forget anything. As a matter of fact, during a night of heavy drinking, the human brain temporarily loses its ability to record memories.
Over To You
These were a few interesting facts about the human brain that are worth knowing. How many of these facts about the complex organ did you know beforehand? Drop your answers in the comment section.